June 11, 2017
The Chargers have agreed to a four-year contract extension with Melvin Ingram. Ingram is one of the team’s top pass rushers.
The contract is worth $66 million with $42 million guaranteed. He had a 10.5-sack season in 2015 and 8.0 more last year with 60 tackles.
The Chargers placed the franchise tag on Ingram in late February. Since negotiations had stalled, Ingram hasn’t taken part in any of the team’s voluntary offseason activities, working out in Florida on his own instead.
“We know Melvin was a priority with us this offseason … the position he plays, what he’s done for us — pass rushers are very important in this league,” GM Tom Telesco said. “If we didn’t have Melvin Ingram, we’d have a pretty big hole as a pass rusher. It was important to get him back with us.”
Ingram is expected in San Diego on Monday to take a physical and sign the contract, clearing the way for his participation at minicamp. He should also be ready for the start of training camp come the end of July.
April 30, 2017
The Chargers had an impressive draft over the weekend, which they hope will help vault them into contention in the AFC West.
The Bolts took Clemson Wide Receiver Mike Williams, Western Kentucky linemen Forrest Lamp, and Indiana guard Dan Feeney in the first three rounds.
In round 4, the Chargers took Miami safety Rayshawn Jenkins and Iowa defensive back Desmond King in round 5.
Then in rounds 6 and 7, the Chargers added depth on the offensive and defensive lines, taking Utah offensive tackle Sam Tevi before finishing the weekend by taking Notre Dame defensive lineman Isaac Rochell.
The Chargers offensive line might end up going from its weakness to one of its biggest strengths in 2017, and they may have even added a potential Rookie of the Year candidate in 2017, in Williams.
The only area the Chargers overlooked during the draft was not selecting a potential successor at quarterback for Philip Rivers. They could have gone for Pitt’s Nate Peterman, who may be ready far earlier than other spread QBs.
“All these players we’ve taken, they all have upside to us,” GM Tom Telesco said. “A lot of these guys have a long way to go still. …We’re excited about all these guys, and I think a lot of these guys have a lot in front of them still.”
The Bolts will hold their rookie minicamp May 12-14 in San Diego
April 27, 2017
The Chargers surprised many in the 1st round of the NFL Draft on Thursday in Philadelphia by selecting Clemson Wide Receiver Mike Williams with the #7 pick.
Williams was a part of Clemson’s national championship team last season. He had 98 receptions for 1,361 yards and 11 touchdowns. During the Tigers’ win over Alabama in the National Championship Game, Williams caught 8 passes for 94 yards and a touchdown.
“I love the pick,” Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said. “We put in a lot of work, we like him, he was No. 1 on our board.”
Most pundits thought the Bolts would select a defensive player with their first round pick. In fact, General Manager Tom Telesco recently suggested that the overall talent in this year’s draft was better on the defensive side of the ball, rather than the offensive.
Ironically, 7 of the first 10 1st round picks on Thursday night were offensive players.
Williams was not in attendance on Thursday night. He was back in Vance, South Carolina watching on television with his family and friends.
As for the Rams, they do not have a draft pick until the 2nd round, which starts on Friday. The Rams traded their 2017 1st round pick to the Titans in order to acquire Jared Goff last year.
March 10th, 2017
The Chargers signed free agent offensive lineman Russell Okung on Thursday to a 4 year $ 53 million deal. The deal includes a $ 25 million guaranteed.
However, Okung represented himself during the negotiations, which might have resulted in the Bolts violating the leagues tampering rules.
League rules stipulate that teams cannot speak to players before 4 pm EST on March 9th. They can speak to agents in the 48 hours before then, something that Okung may not have been aware of.
In March of 2016 the Chiefs were fined $ 350,000 and docked two draft picks for tampering during their negotiations with Jeremy Maclin.
Okung signed a 4 year deal with the Broncos last year, but it had an option after the first year that Denver didn’t pick up.
The Bolts are hoping Okung can help the team protect Philip Rivers, after their offensive line struggled last year.
March 9th, 2017
The Chargers have agreed to a deal with backup quarterback Kellen Clemens. The 11-year veteran has spent the last 3 seasons with the Bolts. He’s only thrown 10 passes over that stretch.
It’s been somewhat of a quiet off-season for the team so far. The team has also agreed to re-sign safety Jahleel Addae and long snapper Mike Windt, and placed a franchise tag on edge rusher Melvin Ingram.
A few days ago the Chargers also released former 1st round pick D.J. Fluker, along with cornerback Brandon Flowers, and wide receiver Steve Johnson.
Those cuts gave the Chargers $19 million in salary cap space. The Chargers have also had discussions with free-agent running back Danny Woodhead.
The Bolts biggest need is on the offensive line. They will likely look to get help their with their modest free agent budget.